2018-10-16 – MONEY, MONEY - zimbabwe


What is the currency of Zimbabwe today ? There is no more official local currency with international rate and exchange. Well, then USD ! Who can believe that locals are using using USD. Notes it is possible, how about coins ?
Getting off the train, looking for a Bureau de change… forget it, there are not. Western Union, no, go to a bank... and that man in Western Union, has guided me to a car just parked in front of the door. The women inside has a lot, a lot of green notes, but not dollars, BOND ! and a calculator. After many calculations she was offering me 2,1 bond for 1 USD. How can I trust her, from where this currency is coming ? Nothing on my currency rates app on my mobile.
Then I changed 80 USD. May be it is too much, may be all this is just a joke.
So, my 80 USD became 168 Bond with only 2 and 5 Bond notes.

Everyone in town is using that local currency. There is coins too 10, 20, 25, 50 cents and 1 bond.

After a short while using that currency, something is going very bizarre in Zimbabwe (check on Google).

Remember my change rate from the street (black market) was 2,1 Bond for 1 USD.

-          1 drive by taxi = 6 dollars, actually 6 bonds, so far let’s say all is “normal”
-          Breakfast at my guest house, the lady did not have any USD change then I’ve proposed to pay with Bond, no problem ! here 5 USD became 5 bond (that means half price with my change rate)
-          1 train ticket to go up to Victoria Falls is 12 dollars, USD or Bond ? doesn’t matter it is same has said the man at the ticket office (that means half price with my change rate)
-          1 burger at the hotel in Victoria Falls, price 15 dollars, then if you pay with Bond it is 15 bonds (from where you have Bond he asked me) or it is 10 USD if you pay by USD cash or Credit card. 33% discount he was saying me, but actually with my change rate from Bulawayo, my discount was 50% !
The last days a new economic crisis has started. Zimbabwe have no more enough foreign currency to pay imports. We can not find anymore some products in supermarkets. Gas sounds facing a serious issue with queuing at the gas station and prices have started to increase. Today, I was in a supermarket in Victoria Falls, prices are like in Europe or higher, in dollars USD or Bond ? locals and have Bond.


Commentaires